Upstart project is an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon which handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running.
It is being developed for the Ubuntu distribution, but is intended to be suitable for deployment in all Linux distributions as a replacement for the venerable sysvinit package.
Here are some key features of "Upstart":
· Tasks and Services are started and stopped by events
· Events are generated as tasks and services are run and stopped
· Events may also be generated at timed intervals, or when files are changed
· Events may be received from any other process on the system
· Services may be respawned if they die unexpectedly
· Bi-directional communication with init daemon to discover which jobs are running, why jobs failed, etc.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Lots of "console log" improvements (and new tests).
· New 'early logging' facility which allows jobs that end before the log disk is writeable to have their output peristed to disk when the disk later becomes writeable.
· Upstart is now able to detect jobs which leak file descriptors: a message is generated when run with debug enabled ('--debug' / "initctl log-priority debug").
· New "usage" stanza which allows instance jobs to display a usage message explaining how job should be started. The usage is displayed when the user has not specified the correct variables to allow the job to be started, or when the user queries the usage using "initctl usage ".
Download and use it now: Upstart 1.5 free download
Related programsOur Recommendations
Goobox is an open source CD player and ripper specially designed for the GNOME desktopDownload
Open With Photoshop is a SeaMonkey and Firefox extension, a new companion for web designers,Download
Run fast through the levels and earn medals for your skill and speed, in this online game.AboutDownload
Try to shoot as many balloons as possible, in this online game.About Google ChromeGoogle Chrome isDownload
PyStemmer is a software that provides access to efficient algorithms for calculating a "stemmed"Download
MP is a free library for arbitrary precision arithmetic, operating on signed integers, rationalDownload
A simple, smart and useful tool for creating, maintaining and monitoring Linux software RAID arraysDownload
WhatIsMyIp extension tells you public IP, your hostname and your UserAgentWith this extension youDownload